As you may know, the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) place significant emphasis on the incorporation of informational texts into the curriculum.
These texts might include freshly published articles and essays, foundational U.S. documents, and historic speeches. I hope the following resources will help take the guesswork out of finding these resources and save you some time along the way.
This list is far from comprehensive, but I tried to ensure that each publication listed below has at least some free long-form content available.
Remember that some publications will eventually restrict access to their articles and essays behind a paywall, but to avoid possible loss of access, please consider "clipping" the article with a tool like Evernote, Instapaper, or Pocket.
Last, I have linked the Text Complexity Grade Bands and Lexile Bands to help you get started using appropriate CCSS-related Lexile levels.
If you like this packet, please consider the following educational resources available in my store:
1. 100 Daily Writing Warm-Ups - Short Prompts - Task Cards - Printer-Friendly!
2. 25 Prompts for Narrative and Descriptive Writing - Common Core-aligned
3. Twitter Tales: Writing Haiku, Micropoems & Short Fiction in 140 Characters
4. Lifesavers: Last-Minute Language Arts Lesson Plan Worksheets for Grades 5-8
5. Evaluating Sources for Credibility Lesson Plan + PowerPoint + Student Activities
6. Absolute & Relative Location Assignment: NFL Football Teams + Google Earth Tour!
7. Ancient Civilizations - Egypt - Famous Pharaohs Research Project with Rubric
8. World Cultures Theme Park Map Project - Social Studies/Substitute Lesson
9. Fifty (50) Landforms and Bodies of Water Workbook - Visual Dictionary
10. Create-a-Country Geography Skills Project - SCALABLE
50+ Links to FREE Informational Texts for Middle & High School Grades
by Christopher Mitchell
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License