The 5E Lesson: Feather Adaptations from Beaker & Book accompanies the book Feathers: Not Just for Flying by Melissa Stewart. However, all the information needed for the entire 5E Lesson is included and can be done without the book. The 5E lesson is intended to span several days and includes reading passages, labs, graphic organizers for content, and an assessment.
This lesson includes:
• Engage: Picture Prompt and discussion stems
• Explore: Feather Findings Lab
• Explain: Two reading passages, Reader’s Theater link, and Show What You Know activity
• Elaborate: Graphic-organizer comparison and Impact of Oil on Bird Feathers reading passage and lab
• Evaluate: short-answer assessment
These activities are aligned to TEKS student expectations found in Grades 3-5.