1. These second set of Lesson Plans for Standard 5.NF.A.1 covers the subtraction of fractions and mixed numbers with unlike denominators.
2. Students will explore the "inverse" or opposite relationship between addition and subtraction. This means that they will create equations and solve subtraction problems by counting up.
3. One way that students will find common denominators is by multiplying the denominator of the first fraction by the denominator of the second fraction. This does not necessarily result in the lowest common denominator.
4. Students will subtract mixed numbers by (a) counting up from the lower mixed number and (b) changing both numbers into improper fractions and also counting up.
5. Students will model both types of solutions using number lines that are provided.
6. These Lesson Plans include templates that allow teachers to modify and create additional practice problems for students.