1. In finding the area of rectangles with fractional side lengths, the Common Core allows for the use of (a) either the distributive property of multiplication or (b) the multiplication of improper fractions.
2. These Lesson Plans explain how to find the area of rectangles with fractional side lengths using both methods. Students use graph paper to draw area models that demonstrate an understanding of the use of the distributive property of multiplication. Students draw additional area models to show the same multiplication using improper fractions.
3. Students will have an opportunity to discuss which of these two methods they prefer to use.
4. Finally, students will model and solve word problems involving the multiplication of mixed numbers using both the distributive property and improper fractions. For example:
"John wants to buy carpeting to cover the floor in his family room. The room measures 20 feet wide by 32 1/4 feet wide. How many square feet of carpeting will John need to purchase?"
5. These Lesson Plans include templates that allow teachers to modify and create additional practice problems for students.