1. In this second set of Lesson Plans for Standard 5.NF.B.6, students will solve word problems involving the multiplication of mixed numbers by both fractions and by whole numbers. (For example: Finding 2/3 of 2 1/2.)
2. Students will model this multiplication using both pictures and an area model.
3. Students will check their solutions by using both the distributive property of multiplication and by changing any mixed number into an improper fraction.
4. These Lesson Plans provide the opportunity to reinforce skills acquired by students in the following other fifth grade fraction standards:
5.NF.B.3 (Fractions as a Division Problem)
5.NF.B.4.A (Multiplication by a Fraction as a Sequence of Operations)
5.NF.B.4.B (Finding the Area of Rectangles with Fractional Side Lengths)
5.NF.B.5.B (Multiplication as Scaling)
6. These Lesson Plans include templates that allow teachers to modify and create additional practice problems for students.