Do your students sometimes struggle to get along? Do you have to help them solve the same arguments over and over again? This bundled unit provides the foundational skills for students to learn how to build healthy relationships. The unit provides two engaging PowerPoint lessons with all the supporting materials to be able to teach students how to be good friends. Using unique animal friendships as examples, the second lesson in the unit celebrates the skill of building diverse friendships.
Each lesson provides approximately 20-45 minutes of instruction in the classroom and can be adjusted for different time frames if necessary. The lessons are fully loaded with ELD and differentiation support as they are integrated with the Common Core ELA standards. We suggest that you teach one lesson in this unit per week during your regular ELA time.
The 2 lessons included are:
1. Describe Good Friend Attributes
2. Make Diverse Friends
1. (2) Teacher Guides
2. PowerPoint explicit instruction lesson
3. PowerPoint collaborative activity with multimedia
4. (3) Student activity pages such as independent practice and reflections
By the end of this unit students will be able to:
1. Analyze sources to determine good friend attributes.
2. As a class create a master list of good friend attributes.
3. Turn negative practices into positive friend attributes.
4. Work collaboratively to distinguish the five most important good friend attributes.
5. Choose two attributes to personally practice in the upcoming week.
6. Describe making new friends using the "LIKE ME" strategy.
7. Describe culture and diversity.
8. Celebrate diversity in small groups by recognizing the different cultures represented.