Ever wish your students would read fraction word problems multiple times to understand and solve the problem? This collection of 10 common core story structure word problems using fractions with unlike denominators are on a graphic organizer that uses close reading strategies. This resource is challenging, entertaining and purposeful.
★★★★ 4 Star reviews make this an effective, dynamic addition to your classroom!
~Students read the fraction word problem four different times with a different purpose each time:
• 1st Read: Identify what the problem is about.
• 2nd Read: Identify the numbers in the problem and what they describe.
• 3rd Read: Create a model or drawing to represent the problem.
• 4th Read: Finally, write the equation that represents the problem.
After four reads, students have said to me that this is the FIRST TIME they ever actually understood word problems and knew how to solve them!
Below are some of my other 5th Grade focused resources. Won't you have a look!
• 5th Grade Volume Word Problems - Close Reading!
• Match Up - Building Better Problem Solvers
• Mult-O! Multiplication Partner Game for x5 and x10 math facts
• Dividing Larger Numbers - Introducing with Math Tools
• Conjectures - 5th Grade Fraction Multiplication Activity
• Fact Fluency Games Tool Kit: x9 Multiplication
• Fact Fluency Games Tool Kit: Addition and Subtraction Facts