This product focuses on the three critical areas of 5th grade mathematics identified in the Common Core State Standards.
In Grade 5, instructional time should focus on three critical areas:
(1) developing fluency with addition and subtraction of fractions, and developing understanding of the multiplication of fractions and of division of fractions in limited cases (unit fractions divided by whole numbers and whole numbers divided by unit fractions);
(2) extending division to 2-digit divisors, integrating decimal fractions into the place value system and developing understanding of operations with decimals to hundredths, and
developing fluency with whole number and decimal operations;
(3) developing understanding of volume.
© Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
These activities focus on the following Common Core State Standards.
5.NBT.1, 3, 5, 6, 7
5.NF.1, 4a, 7a, 7b, 7c
5.MD.3a, 3b, 4, 5a, 5b, 5c
There are 13 activities in this resource. The activities may be used in a variety of ways.
1. End of the Year Review of the Three Critical Areas in 5th Grade Math
2. Review of a Single Unit Taught During the Year
3. Activity While Teaching a Particular Standard or Objective
Each of the activities was designed to be a group activity. Students will discuss information given on a group task card. Then each student will complete a handout.
Please see the preview for samples of the activities.
Included In This Resource:
1. Teacher Notes
2. 5 Tasks on Fractions – Add and Subtract Fractions with Unlike Denominators, Add and Subtract Mixed Numbers, Multiply Fractions, Divide Unit Fractions by Whole Numbers and Vice Versa, Application Problems
3. 5 Tasks on Whole Numbers and Decimals – Division with 2-Digit Divisors Using Area Models and the Standard Algorithm, Multi-Digit Multiplication Using the Standard Algorithm, Decimals, Application Problems
4. 3 Tasks on Volume – Determine Volume by Counting Cubes, Determine Volume by Formulas, Volume of a Composite Figure
5. Student Handouts for 13 Tasks
6. Answer Keys
Visit my store for math resources for 3rd grade and above.
Thanks for viewing!
Created by Hilda Ratliff