Which One Doesn’t Belong?
5th Grade Math Topics
Students examine four mathematical statements and determine which of the three doesn’t belong.
They are asked to make a claim, provide evidence to support the claim and then explain why the evidence supports their claim.
Then, after they’ve done that, students are asked to provide 4 examples of their own where one doesn’t belong and again claim, evidence and reason.
This 2nd stage can be used in multiple ways; students can do the explaining themselves or trade with a partner and have their partner complete the task.
Can be used as station/partner/group work, as a Problem of the Day, enrichment, etc.
1) Words to expressions 6) Comparing Decimals
2) Decimal Place Value 7) Rounding Decimals
3) x/÷ Powers of 10 8) Ordering Decimals
4) Order of Operations 9) +/- Fraction Visuals
5) Decimal Expanded Form 10) Mixed/Improper Fractions
Set Includes: 21 different “Which One Doesn’t Belong”
tasks and answer keys.