Easy, fun way to help your students learn science vocabulary AND prepare for the 5th grade science STAAR test!
*This product is designed to help students master academic vocabulary and can be used to supplement a well-balanced science curriculum.
*Students match words and definitions, then flip the board to reveal a simple science image
*Flipper Puzzles are self-checking and give kids practice with essential science vocabulary
*This FREEBIE includes 3 puzzles (30 words), including Properties of Matter, Alternative Energy, and Ecosystems
*Aligns with Vocabulary Snip-its! units available in my TPT store
*Addresses 5th grade science TEKS to help prepare students for the STAAR test
EASY TO SET UP AND USE
1. Using cardstock, copy words with image on the back and cut the word cards out. Copy the definition board on cardstock. Laminate for durability (optional).
2. Mix cards up and have students match words to definitions, adding word cards to definition board. Then, have students place a paper on top (to hold word cards in place), flip over the board, and reveal the image. If the image doesn’t look right, have them try again.
PREVIEW AND DOWNLOAD
*Freebie download is a PDF with 14 pages, which includes the teacher's guide. Get ALL 22 fifth grade science vocab flipper puzzles HERE!
WANT MORE 5th GRADE SCIENCE VOCABULARY RESOURCES?
*PHYSICAL SCIENCE Vocabulary Snip-its!
*PHYSICAL SCIENCE Vocabulary Flipper Puzzles
*EARTH SCIENCE Vocabulary Snip-its!
*EARTH SCIENCE Vocabulary Flipper Puzzles
*LIFE SCIENCE Vocabulary Snip-its!
*LIFE SCIENCE Vocabulary Flipper Puzzles
*PHYSICAL, EARTH, and LIFE Science Vocabulary Snip-its! Bundle
PHYSICAL SCIENCE VOCABULARY--5.5A
EARTH SCIENCE VOCABULARY--5.7C
biofuel or biomass
LIFE SCIENCE VOCABULARY--5.9A
(5) Matter and energy. The student knows that matter has measurable physical properties and those properties determine how matter is classified, changed, and used. The student is expected to:
(A) classify matter based on physical properties, including mass, magnetism, physical state (solid, liquid, and gas), relative density (sinking and floating), solubility in water, and the ability to conduct or insulate thermal energy or electric energy;
(7) Earth and space. The student knows Earth's surface is constantly changing and consists of useful resources. The student is expected to:
(C) identify alternative energy resources such as wind, solar, hydroelectric, geothermal, and biofuels; and
(9) Organisms and environments. The student knows that there are relationships, systems, and cycles within environments. The student is expected to:
(A) observe the way organisms live and survive in their ecosystem by interacting with the living and non-living elements;
As a Texas teacher, the products I make are designed around the standards for the state of Texas, known as the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) and are carefully crafted to help students be successful on the Texas STAAR test. I use the challenge of the TEKS and released STAAR assessments as models to guide me when putting together lessons and materials for students. Thus, I am careful to post products that, in my judgment, address those standards. I am not affiliated in any way with these entities and any and all claims of alignment are my claims, not those of the groups behind the TEKS or STAAR test. Please contact me if you have questions.