Your fifth graders math skills are required to solve the case of "The Great Pumpkin Heist." Can your students use their knowledge of place value and rounding with decimals (5.NBT.A.1, 5.NBT.A.2, 5.NBT.A.3, 5.NBT.A.3a, 5.NBT.A.3b, 5.NBT.A.4) to solve the puzzles and find the town's pumpkins?
This pumpkin-themed digital escape room is a perfect math activity to keep kids engaged with the distractions of Halloween and other fall activities. Teachers will love that this activity has little to no prep, no clues to hide, and is automated by a Google Form™! Students are not required to have e-mail addresses and you do not need to be a Google Classroom™ user to use this online breakout activity.
In order to complete the puzzles in this digital breakout, students need to be able to:
- Round numbers to any place (ten-thousands through thousandths)
- Compare the value of decimal numbers written in standard form, expanded form, and written form
- Recognize how place value changes when a number is multiplied or divided by ten
- Recognize the value of a number in a given place (the value of the 4 in 643,997 is 40,000)
- Multiply and divide by powers of 10
- Solve rounding challenges
What's included in the PDF?
- Quickstart guide
- Detailed instructions & tips
- Printable case file (can also be projected) with QR code to access the Google Form™.
- URL to access the Google Form™.
- Detailed answer key
- Success signs to snap photos with after completing the activity (optional)
- Optional link for Google Drive™ users to create a copy of the form to save to their own drives in order to view student results.
- Do students need to have Gmail™ accounts? NO! Anyone with internet access and a tablet, computer, or even phone can complete the breakout.
- How long will this take? Most students will be able to complete this activity in 45-60 minutes. The form will not save student data, so if you are worried about your students not finishing on time, simply have them write their answers on scratch paper. They can then come back and quickly re-enter their answers and pick up where they left off.
- Will students have to search the web to figure out the puzzles? NO! All of the information needed will be provided in the Google Form™. The math in this activity is all standards-based.
- Do I have to hide clues? No! There are no clues to hide. Simply give the students a QR code to scan or a link to click, and everything is automated from there!
Escape rooms are a great way to review information, encourage collaboration, or provide enrichment all while having fun!
See all of our Fifth Grade Math Digital Breakout Activities!
Follow The Great Classroom Escape to be the first to know new products arrive!
View All of Our Standards-Based Online Escape Rooms