5th Grade Reading Units Bundle
This bundle includes the 5th grade Interpretation Unit, the 5th grade Nonfiction Unit, the 5th grade argument unit, and the 5th grade Fantasy unit. All units are the perfect companion to the Lucy Calkins' units The Google Slides guide you through each lesson from the connection at the beginning of your lesson to the share at the end and also include homework. The mentor texts match the suggested mentors in LC. The slides are created in Google for easy editing so you can customize to your needs if you use a different mentor text or want to change a lesson. *This is a supplement to help with the instruction of the unit. It is necessary to have the curriculum to use these resources.*
Interpretation Book Club Lessons:
1. Reading Goals
2. Strong Writing about Reading
3. Reading Wide Awake
4. Rereading for More Insight
5. Comparing Character Perspectives
6. Thinking Analytically
7. Revising Writing about Reading
8.Reading with Alertness
9. Thinking about Character’s Perspectives
10.Seeing Text Through Others’ Eyes
11.Connecting Ideas Together
12. Talking to Develop Ideas
13.Debating Evidence and Counterpoints
14. Reflecting on Book Clubs
15. Writing to Explore Similarities and Differences in Themes
16.Being Precise about Themes
17. Revisit and Revise Theme Statement
18. Choices the Author Made
19. Comparing and Contrasting Author Choices
Nonfiction Unit Lessons:
1. When You Know More… You See More
2. Familiarize (Orient) to Complex Text
3. What Makes Main Ideas Complex?
4. Determining Hidden Main Ideas
5. Comparing Text Level Vocabulary
6. Using Morphology to Figure Out Words
7. Noticing Text Structures
8.Challenges of Nonfiction
9. Summarizing as Texts get Difficult
10.Learning from Sources
11. Five Steps for Research *Self planned lesson (I have included what I do)
12. Coming to a Text Like an Expert
13.Writing about Reading
14. Lifting the Level of Questions
15. 3 Steps to Synthesizing
16.Writing about Reading
17. Comparing and Contrasting What Authors Say
18. Critically Reading
19. Live Differently Because of Research
Argument Unit Lessons:
1. Analyzing Texts
2. Organizing Research
3. Flash Debates
4. Finding Relevant Information
5. Strengthening Club Work
6. Readers Wonder
8. Arguing To Learn
9.Considering One Debatable Question
11. Tackling Difficult Texts
12. Who Said It?
14. Evaluating Arguments
15. Sharing Our Learning
17. Sparking New Ideas
18. Comparing And Analyzing Sources
19. Reading with the Lens of Power
Fantasy Unit Lessons:
1. What's the Setting?
2. Learn with Characters
3. What are the Problems?
4. Study the Characters Before Judging
5. Improve your Book Club
6. What are the Dragons?
7. Real life Lessons
9.Comare Themes to History
10.What Can You Improve?
11. Research for Better Understanding
12. Figure out Vocabulary
13. Characters are Complex
14. What is Symbolism?
15. What are Allegories?
16.How are Cultures Represented?
17. What are Archetypes?
18. Be Critical
19. Reading Fantasy Makes You a Better Reader
20. Let's Celebrate
This set includes 80 lessons. Make sure to check anything that is underlined because there are clickable links in many of the lessons. Also these lessons are perfect to "flip" for your students. When I have a sub, I simply record the lesson I would teach if I was there using a screencast. This allows me to give my students the same lesson regardless of my physical presence.
I hope you enjoy this product!
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to
login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Learning-Teaching-Leading
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store. ☺