★ Math is Good: Do what makes sense. Make sense of what you do.
Ever wish your students would read word problems involving decimals multiple times to understand and solve the problem? This collection of 10 common core story structure one-step and two-step decimal word problems are on a graphic organizer that uses close reading strategies. One-step and two-step problems include decimals and money.
Students read the decimal word problem four different times with a different purpose each time to help understand the problem:
★ Read #1: Identify what the problem is about
★ Read #2: Identify the numbers in the problem and what they describe
★ Read #3: Create a model or drawing to represent the problem
★ Read #4: Write the equation that represents the problem.
**After four reads, students have said to met that this is the FIRST TIME they ever actually understood word problems and knew how to solve them!
Other ~Math Lady in MD~
hand-picked selections you may also like:
• Arrow Math - Addition and Subtraction on a Hundred Chart
• 5th Grade Fraction Word Problems - Close Reading!
• Cross One Out - Math Warm Ups to Get Intermediate Kids Thinking
• 5th Grade Volume Word Problems - Close Reading!
• 5th Grade Fraction Division Word Problems - Close Reading!
• Rubric for Problem Solving (*wait for it ….. FREE!!)
• Match Up - Building Better Problem Solvers
• Mult-O! Multiplication Partner Game for x5 and x10 math facts
• Dividing Larger Numbers - Introducing with Math Tools
• Fact Fluency Games Tool Kit BUNDLE: All Multiplication Facts