A beautifully written historical fiction story of Julian, a young boy from Cuba who is evacuated from Cuba as part of Operation Pedro Pan in 1961. Gripping, moving, and full of bravery, betrayal and growth. 90 Miles to Havana provides an inside look into the pain and challenges for these families.
Winner of the 2011 Pura Belpré Honor Book for Narrative and a 2011 Bank Street Best Children’s Book of the Year.
Unit plan includes:
- Unit plan sequencing and pacing guide
- 18 pages of Comprehension Questions
- 26 difference worksheets to meet CCSS, include example
- 11 unique Journal prompts
- Student self=assessment rubric for journal work.
- Teacher assessment rubric for journal work.
- 18 unique end of the unit project ideas and worksheets for students to submit project proposal.
- End of the unit project student self-assessment rubric
- End of the unit project teacher assessment rubric
- Set of 60 Spanish/English words for class word wall
- 2 lists of suggested fiction books to pair with/after this book- one list focusing on the Cuban Revolution, one list focusing on Refugees and Revolutions
You may also like the following related 6th grade CCSS ELA products:
Unit Plan with Assessments for Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Novel Study Unit Plan for The Paperboy by Vince Vawter
6th Grade 20 ELA CCSS aligned Worksheets for Sub Tub or Emergency Sub Plans
Set of 45 Synonym Descriptive Language Spelling Lists