If you want to take the mystery out of what “good” writing includes, introduce your students to the 6 Traits of Writing. Then help your students remember the traits and what they mean with Smekens Education's original 6-Traits icons. The six visual triggers represent each of the traits and act as object lessons to demonstrate the main trait focus. Using the icons layers your presentation of the writing traits. Students don’t just hear the words, they see the concept of each trait as it is portrayed by the visual trigger.
This product includes:
• An introductory page & brief letter from Kristina Smekens
• A rationale page that includes a specific, trait-based explanation for how each icon was created to intentionally act as a way to trigger understanding of the trait it represents
• Six Smekens original Writing Trait Icons—placed in a Word document to copy & resize. Use to create writers’ notebook pages, trait-reminder bookmarks, assignment rubrics, displays for bulletin boards, etc. (NOTE: For classroom use only—NOT for commercial use)
o Ideas—light bulb
o Organization—train cars (engine, middle car, caboose)
o Word Choice—bull’s eye
o Sentence Fluency—phone & cell phone
NOTE: An extra mini-poster is included with the cell phone icon for sentence fluency.
• Six 8.5 x 11” mini-posters—one for each writing trait (separate PDF in folder)
• Recommended Resources for teaching the traits—for primary grades & upper grades
As you use these free 6-Traits Icons, please take a moment to rate this free product.
6-Traits of Writing Icons & Mini-Posters Set
by Smekens Education Solutions, Inc.
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License
Based on a work at http://www.smekenseducation.com/