Just .... trust me on this one. Way fun!
Based on Grade 6, but great for beginning of Grade 7 activity.
Went through tons of sets each year because the kids kept wearing the cards out. Consider lamination! The students love it, it's healthy competition and encourages mental computation, and with practice, improvements are quickly noticeable. Can be played between individuals or teams. May want to involve the students in the card cutting process to talk them through the game. When I taught this, I taught one small group at a round table, and then separated them out into teams and had them teach the team how to play (using the directions of course).
Playing cards (attached)
Optional graphic for front and back printing, this way students can't see through the cards
Instructions (attached and shown below)
Dice (6 sided or more for a challenge)
ziplock bags or envelopes (instructions slipped inside or glued)
Student instructions as found in attachment:
6.EE.2 Evaluate algebraic expressions at specific values.
Each bag contains a set of cards and dice. Select 1 dice. Or 2 dice to add the numbers. Or a any combination of dice, just be sure to
add values rolled.
• Up to 4 players.
• If you do not want a certain operation (addition, subtraction, multiplication or division) remove the cards from the deck. Do not remove more than two operations.
• Deal out all cards.
• One player rolls the dice (take turns)
• Each player selects a card from their pile and evaluates the expression at the given value using substitution.
• The person with the higher value card wins the turn and collects the cards from the other players.
• Continue until you have used all your cards. Then shuffle your collected pile and continue playing.
o If you select a card with two variables, the person with two variables rolls a second time, and substitutes the second variable for that value.
o If players have the same card, then put the card on the bottom of your pile and select another.
o If you both get the same answer but have different expressions, roll again and substitute at this new value.
• When time is called, the player with the most cards is the winner.