This is an awesome mini book for any interactive math journal. Understanding the complexities of fractions is difficult for students.. This mini book will simplify the process and ensure that they are fraction professionals in no time at all.
This mini book breaks the basics of fractions down into several simple, focused, and progressive skills. The books starts with a review of the types of fractions, and how to convert between mixed and improper fractions. Then, it applies the concept of a GCF to simplify fractions. Next, it quickly reviews the multiplication of fractions with models and sample problems, since this is the essence of dividing fractions. Finally, the book walks students through the process of discovering that multiplying by the reciprocal and dividing are the same thing. Finally, students are able to practice this new knowledge with a fun rap and practice problems and word problems.. It is excellent way to review fractions from 5th grade as each page builds on the page before by adding one additional skill. Color coding is also used on the models to help students keep things separated and organized on their papers and in their minds.
The Skills Covered in this Book are:
• Types of Fractions: Whole number, mixed number, improper fraction
• Converting mixed numbers to improper fractions and vice versa
• Simplifying fractions using the GCF or several common factors
• Models of multiplication of fractions
• Practice multiplying fractions
• What is a reciprocal?
• Why can we flip and multiply to divide fractions?
• Division Models
• Division practice and word problems