In this 6th grade thematic literature Smartboard unit, the Big Idea is "Acceptance". All text selections (both fiction and nonfiction) will connect back to the theme and the Essential Questions. The unit will end with a culminating writing performance demonstration. The writing type is informative/explanatory. The student will compare and contrast the Lin and the Gleason families from the Close Read selection "The All-American Slurp". The paper should include evidence of acceptance of the other's culture by both families.
The text selections (which all relate to the big idea - Acceptance) and related skills are as follows:
1. The Watsons Go to Birmingham - by Christopher Paul Curtis (this Smarboard page links to another Smartboard page which has great opening activities for the novel study...also included is a link to audio reading of chapters.)
2. "By Popular Demand" - a nonfiction article - www.readworks.org
Related Skill - Cause/Effect and/or Compare/Contrast
3. "The Jacket" - essay by Gary Soto (McDougal Littell)
Related Skills - Similes, Tone, Mood
4. "Tuesday of the Other June" - short story by Norma Fox Mazer (McDougal Littell)
Related Skills - Plot, Characterization
5. Close Read: "The All-American Slurp" - short story by Lensey Namioka (McDougal Littell)
Related Skills - Mood/Tone/Style, Summarizing, Compare/Contrast, Onomatopoeia
The unit ends with the Culminating Unit Performance Demonstration which is informative/explanatory writing related to the close read "The All-American Slurp".
Units 7-8 coming soon!!
Fonts used on this unit were downloaded (for personal or commercial use) from fellow TpT seller Krys Bosland. Her fonts are adorable so follow the link to use these fonts: KBstriped pajamas, KBspacingout, KBjukebox, KBjellybean, and KBfancyme.
Her store: www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Krys-Bosland