Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
121.37 MB | N/A pages
This module seeks to improve the ensembleship of students through active music making.Students get to choose the instrumental part that they want to play in a pop song.They then split into groups according to their instruments to do self-directed learning with just-in-time instructions and guidance from the teacher before coming back to combine the parts together as a class. They will gain experience of what it is like to play and learn in small groups(sections) and in a large group(ensemble).
This student-centred approach allows a great level of autonomy from the students in terms of decision-making and connects them using the known (prior technical experience of playing the instruments) to the unknown (playing together in sections and ensemble) 21st Century Competencies will be very apparent as students journey through situations individually, as a section, and as a class (ensemble). Tasks that elicit reflective thinking with regards to Social Emotional Learning will allow students to learn more about themselves, and from one another.
With pop culture rising swiftly in the music world, the real world applications of learning how to play a pop song together in an ensemble are many as students will be able to relate to the work they are doing since pop music is probably existent in their personal daily activities.
*Note that the document names contain "P6" as I have used it to teach the Grade 6 (i.e. Primary 6 students). However, the resources inside can be adapted for grades 4-9 (Depending on musical ability of students)
Ukuleles or Acoustic/Electric Guitars
Alto/Sop Orff Xylophones or Keyboards
Bass Orff Xylophones or Bass Guitar
Drum set (or classroom instruments that can imitate similar timbres) (or even mics for imitating drum pattern through beatboxing - Get creative)
Attached in the zip file are the following:
1. Unit Layout of the whole module (to give a general idea about the sequencing and structure of this module)
2. 7 Weeks of Detailed 30min-1hr/Wk lesson plans (Teacher can adopt accordingly to suit the class)
3. Generic Powerpoint Slide (to be used and adapted with the lesson plans for different classes)
4. Worksheets of the different sections (Bass, Chords [Guitar/Uku], Chords [Orff], Ostinato, Percussion)
5. Reflection (Exit) Slips format
6. CD Tracks (Each CD for each section is in a labelled folder, containing tracks made using Garageband for their own section, and combined ensemble)
*Expected final product (which is also included in each section's CD track for them to listen and imitate (Lucy Green's Popular Music Learning) can be found in the youtube link below