Brand New Resource! With the use of mentor sentences from young adult novels, Mentor Minutes provides a step-by-step approach to teach 7th graders the grammar that they need to know while also molding them into excellent young writers.
This resource can be used as a bell ringer or as mini lessons.
There are nine units included. Each unit contains five lessons. Grammar concepts are explained in the first lesson of each unit, and then practice follows in the next four lessons. The lessons build on each other and are spiraling in nature. Click the preview to see the first unit.
Mentor Minutes was created with seventh graders in mind. For example, the very first lesson begins with prepositional phrases because subjects and verbs can never be found inside of prepositional phrases, and this often confuses middle school students. By teaching these first, students can identify them, place parenthesis around them, and look elsewhere in the sentence for the subject and verb of the sentence.
You may want to review the parts of speech before starting; however, this is not necessary, as students will learn as you go. If you do wish to review the parts of speech, a link is provided to a free resource which provides handouts, practice pages, games, and even posters for the parts of speech.
These lessons are crafted with the following:
• Mentor sentences provided from literature, mostly from young adult novels ~
Your students may even decide to read one of the books from which a mentor
• Easy to understand explanations, directions, and examples
• Quick and meaningful activities to ensure students’ success with each concept
• Opportunities for students to mimic the mentor sentences and craft original, simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex sentences of their own
A complete answer key is provided.
• A Grammar Handbook is also included. Print these for your students to use as needed. You can have students keep them in their binders or run a class set, place in folders, and keep them in your room. A link is also provided so you can use this handbook in Google Slides.
This resource is also available as a bundle. The bundle includes task cards and game ideas for each grammar concept taught in Mentor Minutes! If you think you would like to have the task cards and games to accompany this resource, save money, and buy the bundle!