7th Grade Poetry Unit
- Google Apps™
Includes Google Apps™
The Teacher-Author indicated this resource includes assets from Google Workspace (e.g. docs, slides, etc.).
What educators are saying
This unit had everything I needed to teach a great Poetry Unit. I loved the selection on Poetry Analysis.
First time teaching poetry to Intermediate students and I found this resource very helpful. My students also enjoyed all the activities that were included. Thank you.
Also included in
- Teachers, do not spend your weeknights and weekends planning out your Grade 7 English Language Arts program. Use this all-in-one Grade 7 Full Year Middle School English Language Arts Lesson Bundle as your ready-to-go ELA program. The bundle contains 90+ resources for teaching Reading, Writing, SpeakPrice $269.99Original Price $337.08Save $67.09
7th Grade Poetry Unit | PDF and Digital Formats: This 7th Grade Poetry Unit contains 8 engaging lessons for middle school classrooms. Students will enjoy this differentiated and relevant unit. This unit helps students analyze a variety of poetry forms - poems, songs, spoken word, and create their own poems to be presented at a poetry café.
- This unit is Google Classroom™️ compatible with individual PDFs and Google Slides™️ graphic organizers included.
Poetry Unit Outline
- What is Poetry? Lesson
- What is Topic and Theme? Lesson
- Figurative Language Lesson
- Poetry Analysis
- Spoken Word Analysis
- Song Lyric Analysis
- Poetry Creation
- Poetry Showcase
- 8 Engaging & Interactive Lessons
- Detailed Lesson Plans
- Answer Keys
- individual PDFs of student pages for uploading to Google Classroom or other online learning portals
- Google Slides graphic organizers for 1:1 schools
- Anchor Charts
- Student Choice
- Group Work
- Title Pages For Easy Lesson Access
- Rubric and Points-Based Assessment Options
Due to copyright laws, copies of poems and songs are not included in this unit. Links to online sources have been provided.
- “My students really enjoyed this poetry unit - especially the Spoken Word. It was easy to use and the modifications for learners was helpful. It was so nice to have students engaged in a poetry unit!”
- “I spent a happy couple of hours reading through the lesson plans, saving video links, and organizing files to use with my grade 7 virtual class. ELA is NOT my comfort zone, so the clear definitions, answer keys, and especially specific poem examples are a huge relief. I have used other products from 2 peas, and I like the consistency of language on the rubrics, and the detail in digital files that are ready to use with google classroom. The short videos (recommended or linked) from a wide range of channels give a concise overview, I’m glad that I don’t have to find them all myself (or make them!) Thanks so much for another great resource.”
- “My students loved this unit so much. My students were able to create poems that really represented them. “
Other Poetry Resources
Included with rubric
Report this resource to TPT
Reported resources will be reviewed by our team. Report this resource to let us know if this resource violates TPT’s content guidelines.
to see state-specific standards (only available in the US).
Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text.
Determine central ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development; summarize the key supporting details and ideas.
Interpret words and phrases as they are used in a text, including determining technical, connotative, and figurative meanings, and analyze how specific word choices shape meaning or tone.
Analyze the structure of texts, including how specific sentences, paragraphs, and larger portions of the text (e.g., a section, chapter, scene, or stanza) relate to each other and the whole.
Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words.