Products in this Bundle (4)
Also included in
- 90 LESSONS to encourage a growth mindset. Slideshow lessons, Handouts / Activities, Lesson reviews, Comprehensive lesson plans. Learning skills for school and life. FACE to FACE or ONLINE DISTANCE learningEncourage a GROWTH MINDSET through 6Cs 21st Century LIFE SKILLS. Students learn HOW to build ch$75.25$150.41Save $75.16
8 growth mindset lessons including a student growth mindset survey.
Teach students HOW to struggle whether it's FACE to FACE in the classroom or some form of online DISTANCE LEARNING, Blended Learning, 1:1 Google Classroom™ hybrid model.
This is a life-long tool.
- Start January 2021 and set the tone for a year of learning.
- Teach important lessons if you ever need to fill a period.
- Use this anytime to hit the re-start button in your classroom community.
Watch the video:
We need to raise students with character regardless of what subjects we teach because they’ll need grit, tenacity, and resilience at school, at home, at work, in relationships and in their day-to-day lives.
⛔ This product is NOT EASY but worth it.
- Teaching Character is NOT EASY but worth it.
- Likewise, this product requires some PREP WORK on your part. But, it's worth it.
- I've done 95% of the prep work for you. But you still need to do the last 5% to adapt this product to your changing classroom environment.
▶️ This product contains multiple Google Drive folders.
- Please watch this tutorial video to understand how the files are organized.
- (The video is for the Mega Bundle but the file structure is the same.)
⛔ Please look at this READ ME FIRST / PREVIEW FILE pdf before you buy!
- This READ ME FIRST file explains what you get (with screenshots) and how this product is organized.
- If you have any questions before or after you purchase, please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you're looking for the "easy button" here are my EASY products.
TEACH your students HOW to approach life challenges (Covid-19), systemic racism, and academic challenges with a growth mindset... in any subject.
- We don't have to be perfect, but let's try to be better than who we were yesterday.
- And, that starts with explicitly talking about challenges and strategies to overcome the tough stuff.
This is especially true today with new information constantly coming to us about Coronavirus (Covid-19) and systemic racism.
This package does not contain any information, examples, or language specifically about the Coronavirus pandemic or systemic racism.
And, that's a good thing because that makes that makes this lesson package timeless. You can use this lesson today within the context of Covid-19 and having to figure out distance learning, or you can use it in the future when the next obstacle appears.
Also, we don't want to give your students outdated information. Nor do we want to potentially trigger anxiety by hyper-focusing on Covid-19. So, this package uses Sudoku puzzles as an opportunity for your students to develop grit and resiliance.
This is the good stuff. No, seriously. Check out the preview PDF to see everything that you're getting.
✅ The NO PREP slideshow lesson teaches the concepts.
✅ You can EDIT THE FILES to fit your classroom needs.
✅ The slideshow lesson is comprehensive and easy to use:
- DISTANCE LEARNING in Google Classroom
- BLENDED LEARNING or 1:1 LEARNING in Google Classroom
- IN PERSON LEARNING in your real classroom
- It explains how to use the DISTANCE LEARNING / Google Classroom version of the logic puzzles to encourage students to keep a GROWTH MINDSET:
FACE TO FACE Learning
- Teach using the Google Slideshow (FILE #3) - all of the slides are in this file
- Lesson Plan (File 2b) identifies which slides and handouts you need for each lesson.
DISTANCE LEARNING / GOOGLE CLASSROOM
Create the following assignments in your Google Classroom. (One for each lesson)
Assignment #1: Lesson A1
- File 3a Lesson A1 slideshow (Student can view file)
- File 5a What do you believe survey (Make a copy for each student)
- File 4a Review - Lesson A1 (Make a copy for each student)
Assignment #2: Lesson B1
- File 3b Lesson B1 slideshow (Student can view file)
- Link to tutorial video:
- File 5g Sudoku puzzle - slideshow (Make a copy for each student)
- File 5g Sudoku solution - slideshow (Student can view file)
- File 4b Review - Lesson B1 (Make a copy for each student)
Assignment #3: Sudoku Independent Work package
- 4 different options to give teachers flexibility. All options allow students to choose their own puzzle. Some options allow students to check their own answers or allow teachers to preview student progress in Google Classroom (because the puzzle is on the first slide of student work.)
- Link to tutorial video:
- Option 1: Students independently choose puzzles and check answers using File 5i.
- --- File 5i Sudoku Puzzle Package(Make a copy for each student)
- Option 2: Students independently choose puzzles and check answers using File 5j.
- --- File 5j Sudoku Puzzle Package (ALL) (Make a copy for each student)
- Option 3: Students independently choose puzzles by copying the slide they want. They can also independently check their answers.
- --- File 5j Sudoku Puzzle Package (ALL) (Student can view file)
- --- File 5k Sudoku (Make a copy for each student)
- Option 4: Students independently choose puzzles by copying the slide they want. Answers are NOT provided to students.
- --- File 5h puzzle 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, 6-1, 6-2, 6-3, 7-1, 8-1, 9-1 ( Student can view file)
- --- File 5k Sudoku (Make a copy for each student)
Assignment #4: Lesson B2
- File 3b Lesson B2 slideshow (Student can view file)
- File 4b Review - Lesson B2 (Make a copy for each student)
Assignment #5: Lesson B3
- File 3b Lesson B3 slideshow (Student can view file)
- Link to video #1:
- File 4b Review - Lesson B3 (Make a copy for each student)
Assignment #6: Lesson B4
- File 3b Lesson B4 slideshow (Student can view file)
- File 5c Twelve handout (Make a copy for each student)
- Link to video #2:
- Link to video #3:
- Link to video #4:
- File 4b Review - Lesson B4 (Make a copy for each student)
Assignment #7: Lesson C1
- File 3c Lesson C1 slideshow (Student can view file)
- File 6 Vocabulary Builder (Make a copy for each student)
Assignment #8: Lesson C2
- File 3e Lesson C2 slideshow (Student can view file)
- File 7 Self Evaluation (Make a copy for each student)
- File 8a Chapter Review (Make a copy for each student)
..... Saturday April 17, 2021 update: Hello, weekend! What are you doing today for you? (Not your job, not your family, not your obligations... for you?) I'm going to spend some time tinkering on the computer because that brings me joy. What brings you joy?
⭐ Teachers around the world have downloaded over 27,586 Educircles resources!
I gave away $200 (out of $500) in an online giveaway and kept the rest...
DID I CHEAT !?!
Maybe… Can your class prove if I did or didn’t?
⛔ Did I Cheat Educircles challenge: Win a $100 TpT gift card.
- Teach the FREE Did I Cheat critical thinking challenge
- Contest NOW OPEN! - Fill out this google form before June 30, 2021 - 11:59 PM (ET)
The next person to enter has a 100% chance of winning the $100 TpT gift card.
- I'm giving away $500 in total.
- There are 21 TpT gift cards to be won.
- 27 people have downloaded the free resource.
- 0 people have entered the contest so far.
- Odds of winning will change based on the number of entries received.
- For more information, visit http://educircles.org/did-i-cheat
FYI - in my last contest only 3 teachers entered!
- Kati won a $100 gift card!
- Emily and Sara both won $50 gift cards!
- I tend to have a low participation rate. Your chances of winning are epic!
✅ Answer 3 questions and RECEIVE a $10 TpT gift card!
- I have eight (8) $10 TpT gift cards left.
- Check your TpT inbox for the questions in my "Note to Followers"
- I sent this round of questions on April 5, 2021
- FOLLOW MY STORE to get the next set of questions!
✅ I gave away a $25 TpT gift card on Wed Apr 7, 2021
- Congratulations to Kadain (Belcamp, US) who won the $25 TpT gift card for April!
- Watch the video to see how they did it!
✅ Save hours of prep (and MONEY) with the bundle!
✅ Transferrable LIFE skills that go well with a CHANGING WORLD:
- ACTIVELY participate in our school, local and global community.
- COMMUNICATE more effectively AND assertively during tough conversations
- DEVELOP a GROWTH MINDSET to get through uncertain times.
- THINK CRITICALLY instead of reacting to fear.
- EVALUATE SYSTEMIC DISCRIMINATION: Think about how a system might impose unfair burdens on a group of people.
- DIVERSITY LESSON: ASK which groups of people are invisible? How can we help amplify the stories we're not hearing?
In the Google Drive™ folders, you get:
OVER A WEEK of lessons to do with your class to help your students build inner strength and character (grit, tenacity, perseverance.)
- 175 slides in GOOGLE SLIDE™ format
- 61 page lesson plan PDF with 7 DIFFERENT lessons
- 4 page MINDSET "What do you believe" self-assessment HANDOUT
- 21 page SUDOKU PUZZLE set (and solutions) with Growth Mindset tips
- Google Classroom / Distance learning versions of the SUDOKU Puzzle activity
- 10 pages Lesson Review
- 1 page Vocabulary Building Graphic Organizer HANDOUT
- 1 page Character Learning Skills SELF-EVALUATION handout
- 2 page Character Review Assessment - What did you learn? (6 short answer questions.
If you want to teach character education, we just saved you an incredible amount of prep work!
NOTE: THIS LESSON IS PART OF A LARGER BUNDLE about Exploring the Six Cs / 21st Century Skills / Competencies
The Six Cs are a bunch of transferable skills that you can use at school, at home, at a job… pretty much anywhere. They’re learning skills to help us be successful in the 21st century.
Each Chapter package focuses on a different “C” and contains different lessons, slides, videos, and handouts. Although we use the same structure in each chapter (activity, video, vocabulary building), there is no overlap of content between packages.
Lessons can be purchased individually, or you can SAVE MONEY and purchase the entire unit as a BUNDLE.
- Unit Overview
- Introduction: Fun Activities & Ice Breakers (21st Century Skills)
- Chapter 1. A week of Character (THIS LESSON)
- Chapter 2. A week of Citizenship
- Chapter 3. A week of Collaboration
- Chapter 4. 2 weeks of Communication
- Chapter 5. 2 weeks of Creativity/Innovation
- Chapter 6. 5 weeks of Critical Thinking
- Review / Assessment: 21st Century Skills Challenge Task
GO ON... TELL ME MORE about this CHARACTER BUILDING GROWTH MINDSET package:
In this package, we have a series of lessons that
- introduce the concept of mindset (Growth Mindset vs Fixed Mindset),
- allow students to explore character (perseverance) by working through 9 different sudoku strategies to develop logical thinking
- provide discussion points of 4 different YouTube videos with socially relevant celebrities talking about the work required behind the scenes.
- allow for deeper exploration of the concept of “Character” using the Frayer Model of understanding.
CHAPTER BIG IDEA:
After this chapter, students will be able to explain that Character is about:
- “Grit, tenacity, perseverance, resilience.”
- not giving up and developing your inner strength to learn and grow as a person.
- who you are when you are going through challenges. It is about the process, and not about the final result (success or failure).
Students will have the opportunity to:
1. EXPERIENCE struggles/character building through two activities: a mindset self-evaluation activity, and a sudoku activity
2. WATCH and discuss short videos of celebrities talking about character-building experiences in their lives.
3. UNDERSTAND what “character” is by using a vocabulary building graphic organizer (Frayer model) to brainstorm features of Character, examples and non-examples of Character, and finally narrow down essential characteristics of the word.
PROPOSED GAME PLAN: Complete breakdown of ALL 7 LESSONS
We based this schedule on a 50 minute period and providing around 40-45 minutes of content per lesson.
(Let’s be honest. It takes your students a few minutes to wander into class, and you’ll probably need a few minutes at the end of class to go over homework or administrivia stuff.)
Depending on your teaching style and the chattiness of your class, you may find that you can get through all 7 lessons in 5 days… or it stretches out to two full weeks (10 days).
TEACHER TIP: If you’re short on time, cut out some of the rounds of sudoku and only watch one video.
LESSON 1 - Activity #1 What do you believe Self Assessment Handout / Growth Mindset vs Fixed Mindset (40 min) - SLIDES 1-39
- Chapter introduction / Part 1 - EXPERIENCE character - Slides 1 - 2
- Doing the “What do you believe” survey (20 min) - Slides 3 - 25
- Taking up the answers - Discussing growth mindset (20 min) Slides 26 - 39
LESSON 2 - Activity #2 Sudoku (40 min) - SLIDES 40 - 90
Round 1 (20 min)
- Reviewing Mindset (5 min) Slides 40 - 49
- What is Sudoku (10 min) Slides 50 - Slide 72
- Round 1 work period (5 min) Slide 73
Round 2 (20 min)
Sudoku Strategies #1-3 (10 min) Slide 74 - 89
- Strategy 1. Inspection - Slide 75-77
- Strategy 2. Start with the Most - Slide 78-86
- Strategy 3. Write down Candidates - Slide 87-89
Round 2 work period (10 min)Slide 90
LESSON 3 - Sudoku continued (45 min) - SLIDES 91 - 124
Round 3 (20 min)
Sudoku Strategies #4-5 (10 min)
- Strategy 4. Go by number - Slide 91 - 96
- Strategy 5. Pointing - Slide 97-102
Round 3. Work period (10 min) Slide 103
Round 4 (25 min)
Sudoku Strategies #6-9 (15 min)
- Strategy 6. Go by row - Slide 104-108
- Strategy 7. Double Check - Slide 109-111
- Strategy 8. Go by box - Slide 112-117
- Strategy 9. Hidden Singles - Slide 118-123
Round 4. Work period (10 min) Slide 124
LESSON 4 - Sudoku continued and Introducing Videos (40 min) SLIDES 125 - 138
Round 5 (20 min)
- Overcoming Obstacles (Perseverance) Strategies (10 min)
- - Introduction - Slide 125-127
- - Obstacles and strategies to overcome obstacles - Slide 128-132
Round 5. Work period (10 min) Slide 133
Watch Video (20 min)
- Introduction: Part 2 - Watch Videos - Slide 134
- Kobe - Slides 135-138
LESSON 5 - Videos continued (55 min) - SLIDES 139 - 150
- The Rock (25 min)- Slides 139-142
- Bolt (15 min) - Slides 143-146
- Ellen (15 min) - Slides 147-150
LESSON 6 - Playing with words (40 min) - SLIDES 151 - 167
- Introduce Part 3 - Understand (Vocabulary Builder) - Slide 151
- Graphic Organizer set up - Slide 152 - 153
- Minds on - Slides 154-155
- Filling out the graphic organizer - Slides 156-159
- Revising graphic organizer - Slides 160-164
- Summary Slides 165-167
LESSON 7 - Self Evaluation / Review (50 min) - SLIDES 168 - 175
- Student Self Evaluation Slides (10 min) 168 - 174
- Chapter Review Test (40 min) Slides 175
The READ ME FIRST PDF file in the PREVIEW file section tells you exactly what you get when you buy this product.
If you have any questions or comments, please leave a comment below!
Read more about Character Education Lesson Plans on our website.
Version 2.6 Update (Sep 8, 2020)
- This product has been re-organized to help you find what you need.
- No changes to content.
- Shorter file names.
- Google Drive
- -- Folder 1: files to print and teach.
- -- Folder 2: files you can edit.
- -- Folder 3. files for Google Classroom.
- -- Folder 4. files for Sudoku Logic Puzzles in Google Classroom.
The complete change log can be found at the end of the READ ME FIRST file.