- A bundle of card sorts, group activities, games, and more to engage students and help them learn 8th grade math standards. Included resources are meant to be fun and challenging. They can be used throughout the year to supplement your 8th grade math curriculum. These are also great for review and$38.00$57.49Save $19.49
- Teach students all about graphing lines with the included tasks, activities, practice, powerpoints, a game, and more. These resources are appropriate for 8th graders or Algebra 1 students learning linear functions. Please see the PREVIEWS for additional information.INCLUDED RESOURCES:Graphing Prop$30.00$54.98Save $24.98
- This mega bundle is packed with engaging and challenging Algebra 1 and 8th grade math resources for the whole year. View the free Scope and Sequence (the first item below) to see the organization of the units and all the resources included. A variety of activities, assessments, games, projects, gu$310.00$520.25Save $210.25
- This growing curriculum includes a variety of activities, assessments, games, projects, guided notes, inquiry lessons, group work, reference posters, and more for eighth grade math CCSS standards. This curriculum is centered on discovery learning and engaging activities with real world connections.$205.00$311.35Save $106.35
- This curriculum bundle includes a variety of activities, assessments, games, centers, projects, inquiry lessons, guided notes, and more for teaching Algebra 1 CCSS standards. This curriculum is centered on discovery learning and engaging activities with real world connections. Lessons help you teac$225.00$374.82Save $149.82
- Product Description
Introduce students to linear relationships with a focus on initial values and rates of change.
Start your graphing linear functions unit with real world stories. Not only will this engage students, but it will help the learning stick!
This is a multi-part resource that includes:
- Vocabulary Review: Initial Value and Rate of Change (half sheet)
- 8 Story Cards with real world linear relationships plus extra unnecessary information
- 2 Student Pages where students fill in initial values, rates of change, tables of values, and graphs
- 2 Exit Tickets (half sheets)
Ideas for use…
- Review the terms initial value and rate of change with the half sheet included (page 2).
- Use the 8 Story Cards (page 3 & 4) and the Student Pages (page 5 & 6) to practice finding initial value and rate of change. The stories have extra information, so students must determine what is important. The Story Cards can be posted around the room, given to groups of students, or projected on the board to look at as a whole class. If this is the introductory lesson, instruct students to rewrite the stories, find the initial value, and find the rate. (Do not complete the tables or graphs yet.)
- Once students understand finding initial values and rates from stories, they can complete the tables and graphs.
- Follow up with discussions about how the initial value and rates relate to the tables and stories. Clear up misconceptions, and your students will have a great foundation for the conceptual understanding of linear relationships!
- Two exit tickets are provided to assess the skills of finding initial values and rates from stories, along with creating tables and graphs.