This is an ENTIRE YEAR of word work for 8th grade students!! This packet teaches students the prefixes, suffixes and root words (morphology) that the Common Core State Standards require!
Why should you teach students morphology?? Well, teaching (Latin and Greek prefixes and suffixes) is tremendously important for multiple reasons:
1. Most academic words (math and science) are derived from Latin and Greek .
2. The majority of Multi-Syllabic words contain Latin and Greek prefixes, suffixes and roots.
3. Understanding Latin and Greek affixes will provide students with a deeper understanding of newly acquired vocabulary.
4. Over 60% of the words students encounter will have recognizable word parts.
Included in this pack:
1. List of 8th grade prefixes and roots for the entire 8th grade year.
**The 8th grade morphology list of prefixes and roots is based off of research by Timothy Rasinski, Nancy Padak, Rick M. Newton and Evangeline Newton. This list was taken (as a free resource) from Teacher Created Materials., which publishes and sponsors work from the researchers listed above. Suffixes were not included on the list for 8th grade students, however interactive suffix notebook pages are provided for review and extra practice.
2. Word Wheels
**Two different word wheels—a wheel with 8 spaces and a wheel with 4 spaces for easy differentiation.
3. Interactive notebook foldables for prefixes, suffixes and root words.
**Two different foldables –a smaller version that fits on a ½ page and a larger version which fits on a whole page. Large version is great for kids that have writing impairments.
4. Mobile word walls
**Great to put at the end of interactive notebooks so students have access to words all throughout the day, and at home!
5. Plan of instruction
6. Resources for prefix, suffix and root word activities.
Other Grade Levels Available:
3rd Grade CCSS Word Work for Interactive Notebooks
4th Grade CCSS Word Work for Interactive Notebooks
5th Grade CCSS Word Work for Interactive Notebooks
6th Grade CCSS Word Work for Interactive Notebooks
7th Grade CCSS Word Work for Interactive Notebooks
8th Grade CCSS Word Work for Interactive Notebooks