What’s the Question is a higher order thinking skills activity that will challenge and help your math students critically think about various 8th grade math topics. This product consists of 13 different topics. There is one topic per page. Each topic consists of 5 different “questions.” The questions are actually the answers given to five different problems, and the students have to create the questions. This will help your students think deeper about the mathematics.
The 13 topics include:
• Number Systems: Categorizing rational numbers, integers, whole numbers, irrational numbers, and natural numbers
• Exponents: Simplifying expressions using exponent properties
• Scientific Notation: Writing in scientific notation as well as performing operations on numbers written in scientific notation.
• Equations with Variables on Both Sides
• Systems of Equations
• Simplifying Radicals
• Functions: Identifying functions from tables, graphs and equations.
• Graphing: Graphing in slope-intercept form.
• Parallel Lines: Identifying angles created by parallel lines cut by a transversal.
• Pythagorean Theorem
• Cones, Cylinders, & Spheres: Finding the volume of these shapes.
• Scatter Plots: Identifying linear, non-linear, positive and negative associations.
An answer sheet is NOT included. Due to the nature of the activity, the answers will widely vary. A suggestion for the teacher: do not be so strict on students writing the right “answer” for this activity. Rather this is to challenge students to think beyond basic algorithms. Focus on the thinking of the students and you can learn a great deal on what your students really understand.
These would be great to use for assessments, homework, math centers, group work, or individual work.
This product is also available for 7th Grade
Other products you may be interested in:
This Product is Part of the Following Bundle(s)
Remember that leaving feedback earns you points toward FREE TPT purchases!
Please feel free to contact me with any questions!
Make Sense of Math