8th Grade Poetry Unit
- Google Apps™
Includes Google Apps™
The Teacher-Author indicated this resource includes assets from Google Workspace (e.g. docs, slides, etc.).
What educators are saying
This is a fantastic resource. I really appreciated the detailed answer key to help me teach this unit. I highly recommend this resource and any resources by 2 Peas and a Dog.
My students we're very engaged and I loved how relevant the examples were. Definitely a great way to spice up the topic of poetry!
Also included in
- Teachers do not spend your weeknights and weekends planning out your Grade 8 English Language Arts program. Use this all in one Grade 8 Full Year Middle School English Language Arts Lesson Bundle as your ready-to-go ELA program. The bundle contains 90+ resources for teaching Reading, Writing, SpeakiPrice $279.87Original Price $349.84Save $69.97
8th Grade Poetry Unit | PDF and Digital Formats: This 8th Grade Poetry Unit contains 8 engaging lessons for middle school classrooms. Students will enjoy this differentiated and relevant unit. This unit helps students analyze a variety of poetry forms - poems, songs, spoken word, and create their own poems to be presented at a poetry café.
- This unit is Google Classroom™️ compatible with individual PDFs and Google Slides™️ graphic organizers included.
Poetry Unit Outline
- What is Poetry? Lesson
- What is Topic and Theme? Lesson
- Figurative Language Lesson
- Poetry Analysis
- Spoken Word Analysis
- Song Lyric Analysis
- Poetry Creation
- Poetry Showcase
- 8 Engaging & Interactive Lessons
- Detailed Lesson Plans
- Answer Keys
- individual PDFs of student pages for uploading to Google Classroom or other online learning portals
- Google Slides graphic organizers for 1:1 schools
- Anchor Charts
- Student Choice
- Group Work
- Title Pages For Easy Lesson Access
- Rubric and Points-Based Assessment Options
Due to copyright laws, copies of poems and songs are not included in this unit. Links to online sources have been provided.
- “This is a fantastic resource that brings a fresh perspective to poetry! The product is extremely easy to use digitally which has been so helpful with our return to remote learning. Thank you for another fabulous product!”
- “This was a wonderful resource and made teaching poetry a breeze! Students liked the videos and it helped them to have a better understanding of the content. It was simple and easy to use digitally while doing distance learning!”
- “This is a fresh and new way to look at poetry with the spoken word poems. The kids loved working with new ways to express themselves."
- "This is an amazing resource! I struggle with teaching Poetry, and your lesson plans are engaging and so easy to follow! 8th graders tend to have a negative reaction when I mention the word Poetry. Your lesson approach is not intimidating and easy for students to relate to. The students really appreciated the fresh look at Poetry. In the end, I overheard one of them say "maybe Poetry isn't as bad as I thought." I highly recommend this resource and look forward to using more of your lesson plans."
Other Poetry Resources
Included with rubric
Report this resource to TPT
Reported resources will be reviewed by our team. Report this resource to let us know if this resource violates TPT’s content guidelines.
to see state-specific standards (only available in the US).
Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text.
Determine central ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development; summarize the key supporting details and ideas.
Interpret words and phrases as they are used in a text, including determining technical, connotative, and figurative meanings, and analyze how specific word choices shape meaning or tone.
Analyze the structure of texts, including how specific sentences, paragraphs, and larger portions of the text (e.g., a section, chapter, scene, or stanza) relate to each other and the whole.
Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words.