I created this project as a fun way for my 8th grade students to apply their knowledge of scatter plots in a meaningful way. They had a lot of fun!
Students pretend to be epidemiologists investigating why asthma rates in a city are skyrocketing. Students get to:
- Discover the environmental cause of the increased rates of asthma
- Investigate which factors exacerbate asthma: having pets, exercising, secondhand smoke, and age. (Everything they discover are true findings about asthma!)
- choosing an appropriate scale
- plotting coordinate points
- analyzing the type of association (positive, negative, weak, strong, linear)
- identifying clusters and outliers
This project includes:
- 7 page analysis worksheet (fully shown in preview)
- map with a coordinate plane
- data sheet with information about all of the asthma patients
- short powerpoint presentation to introduce the project
This project is editable so you can adjust the questions!
I hope your students enjoy this project - let me know if you have any recommendations!