Two Scavenger Hunt Activities that represent a wonderful practice of the standard 8.FA.2 - Function (rate of change, initial value) in the context of word problems
1) Cut out all cards and post them around your classroom (order is not important).
Each student needs both pages of the recording sheet.
2) Students work in pairs or independently and begin with any card.
3) Each card has a problem to solve. EachThe solution in the top right corner is the solution to another card. Students write the card number on their recording sheet
and then solve the problem.
4) They then need to find the card that has the solution to the problem they just solved in the top right corner. They write the number of this new card in the next box on their sheet and continue.
5) The goal is to get all 10 cards in the correct order.