This a fun independent math and writing activity for your math or literacy centers.
This download is for the BUILD AN ALIEN format (for May) but can be used any time of year. It includes many different math skills and writing templates to use with the artwork created! There are enough activity pages for for eleven math activities practicing a different addition or subtraction skill, and eleven writing activities.
Please note: This is one set of a larger seasonal full year bundle that you can check out by clicking below:
Students choose one of 11 different templates, each practicing a different math skill.
All students work on the same drawing topic, but with differentiated math skills!
For example, students:
- Roll to see which head to draw (pictured beside the number they roll).
- Roll again to see which eyes to draw.
- Roll to see which nose to draw.
- Roll again to see which mouth to draw.
- Once the picture is done, use it as a writing prompt with one of the writing templates. Everything is done on one page to keep it simple.
- Use the writing templates for your writing assessment, using differentiated templates to ensure students are working on skills just right for them!
There are several different math templates to choose from.
Here are the skills included:
- Numeral Recognition
- Dice Dots (subitizing)
- Adding On: Roll and Add 1
- Adding On: Roll and Add 2
- Adding On: Roll and Add 3
- Roll and Double the number
- Roll and Triple the number
- Roll and Double plus 1
- Roll and Double plus 2
- Roll and Double minus 1
- Roll and Double minus 2
Students draw their pictures on the writing template you have selected for their skill level. These are differentiated, from simple comic speech bubble writing, to elaborate story writing.
Here is a list of literacy skills:
- Simple sentence building
- Comic dialogue
- Story writing
- Descriptive writing
Specific Page Tasks
- Basic Sentence With Starter Frame
- Simple imaginative descriptions (name of monster, what it eats, etc)
- Simple Sequencing
- Compare/Contrast child vs monster, or two monsters
- Cut/glue sentence building and self-editing/peer editing
- Creating comics and dialogue in writing
- Exploring sentences with verbs, adjectives
- Using descriptive writing (color spinner on the page)
- Exploring Setting, Character, Problem, Solution in story writing
- Simple Story writing templates
- Blank story writing pages (advanced)
- a seasonal theme for drawing (see below)
- 11 different math skills for each topic/month
- a set of 11 differentiated writing templates
This set is also fantastic for:
- sub plans
- literacy centers
- math centers
- partner work
- morning work
Since the drawings turn out different each time, students love to create over and over again!
October - Build a Bat
November - Build a Turkey
December - Build an Elf
January - Build a Snowman
February - Build a Valentine Bear
March - Build an Easter Bunny
April - Build a Funny Clown
May - Build an Alien
June - Build a Bug
FULL YEAR BUNDLE (available for less than half price compared to purchasing sets individually) Click to see links to the other sets.
You can see the preview by clicking the green button near the top of this page. Please look at the preview to see the details before purchasing to ensure these are right for your class.
PLEASE NOTE: The preview contains information on the full year bundle (135 pages) , however this download includes ONLY the product in the title (25 pages)
These are PDF files. Please ensure you have the correct programs to open and use them. If you have any trouble with downloading or printing, please read the help on this page: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Help
If you still need troubleshooting, please email email@example.com and the TPT tech team will be happy to help you.
Larger bundles may be collected in a ZIP file. You can read more about this type of file by clicking HERE.
Would you like to see a huge list of similar resources all on one page?
Just click the category below that you'd like to browse:
If you have any questions or concerns, please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can see ALL clip art and early literacy sets organized in one place by clicking Whimsy Workshop Teaching -- simply choose a tab at the top of the page to explore!
Don't miss out on free and discounted clip art by keeping in touch!
Whimsy Workshop Teaching
This download allows for single classroom use only. If you know of other teachers who wish to have their own copy, you can click on extended licenses during the checkout process (at reduced prices), or email the product link to colleagues so they can purchase their own legal copy and receive any updates in the future. Thank you for respecting my TOU and hard work.
Original Resources and Illustrations ©S.Westby - Whimsy Workshop Teaching.com