A Big Mooncake for Little Star Read Aloud Book Guide | Questions | Google Forms helps students get the most out of this fantastic, whimsical 2018 children's book by Grace Lin. Explore the Mid-Autumn Festive / Moon Festival that Chinese and Vietnamese celebrate at harvest time, which falls on a full moon in late September or early October (in the traditional Chinese Lunar calendar it is the 15th day of the 8th month.)
Note: The Moon Festival this year (2020) falls on Thursday, October 1 next year (2021 Tuesday, September 21.
This product includes:
- A Teacher's Lesson Plan PDF (3 pages) Note: this can be used as a standalone lesson plan without the need to print copies of the student book guide if desired.
- 15 high-level, short answer, page-by-page questions that will do more than just ask your students to regurgitate information.
- A student book guide, PDF printer friendly version (10 pages)
- A student book guide, PDF digital fillable form version (10 pages)
- An answer key (10 pages) IS included with this book guide, however answers may vary as students are often encouraged to construct their own meaning
- A Google Forms Version of the Movie Guide
- Note: Due to the lack of drawing options on Google Forms, the Mandarin and Moon Phases Activities will require students to use paper or other software
- CCSS alignment indicating standards met, PDF (1 page - see also preview image)
Check the preview file for high resolution sample questions to see if this book guide is suitable for your students. The overview of the content included on the book guide are as follows:
- A Learn Mandarin section introducing the phrase "I eat mooncake" in Mandarin which includes links to a website that shows the animated stroke order to help students write the characters
- Note: The characters are simplified, but if you prefer traditional only the last character for 'cake' is different. Traditional - 餅 Simplified - 饼
- A Moon Phases page that illustrates the 8 phases and asks students to draw and label them and compare the pictures of the mooncake in the book to the phases
Distance Learning Tips:
- Distribute the digital PDF file or the google forms version to each student
- Use the screen sharing tool to read aloud the book and share the pictures with your students
- Pause for discussion after all or designated questions and give students time to respond
General Tips for Using this Book Guide:
- Print one, double-sided book guide for each student
- Preview the questions ahead of time to see if any tweaks need to made to suit your students
- Encourage discussions and further questions, but discourage students from simply copying answers.
- Randomly choose a student to share their answer and defend it if necessary.
Earn with TPT Credits!
- Leave Feedback for this product and earn TPT credits
- 20 Credits = $1 OFF any TPT purchase
FREE Movie Guides & Resources:
Get a feel for my work and see if this resource is right for you. I ask questions that require students to 'live' on the higher levels of Bloom's taxonomy.
- Free Kung Fu Panda 3 Movie Guide (PG - 2016)
- Free The Lightning Thief Movie Guide (PG - 2010)
- Free Home Alone 2 Movie Guide (PG - 1992)
- Free! Story Elements Worksheet
- Free! Character Analysis & Comparison
Your feedback, ratings, likes and follows are appreciated:
- TpT Store - TeacherTravis
- Pinterest - TeacherTravis
- Instagram - Teachers Travis
- Facebook - K12MovieGuides
- Twitter - K12MovieGuides
- Blog & Website - K12MovieGuides
See my movie guides below, by category, or search for one at my