- This bundle includes the following products from my store:A Boy Called Bat - Novel Study, Reading Activities, and Writing PromptsA Boy Called Bat - Paragraph Flip Book and ActivitiesBat and the Waiting Game - Novel Study & Reading ActivitiesI hope you enjoy!-------------------------------------P$13.25$9.99Save $3.26
Please note: This is the PDF version of my existing Google Slide product:
My first and foremost objective as an educator, when reading a class read aloud, or sharing novels for group study is to encourage a love of reading. I aim to make the pages of the stories come alive, and to provoke thoughtful and meaningful discussion. For this reason, you will not find chapter by chapter questions and answers that can at times make reading seem like a chore. I do however include activities that ask students to make connections, think deeper, compare and contrast, imagine… and start discussions.
This is a novel that I plan to use at the beginning of the year to help create an inclusive classroom community. The themes of the novel, such as friendship, individuality, inclusiveness, and mindfulness set the tone for a wonderful school year.
To start off this product, I have included a few words on autism and some discussion questions related to a book called My Brother Charlie, by Holly Robinson Peete and Ryan Elizabeth Peete. This book can be read prior to reading A Boy Called Bat.
The first activities may be used throughout the whole novel, or used where needed:
I. Reading is Thinking Graphic Organize
II. Hashtag Chapter Summaries
III. Word Work Graphic Organizer
IV. Bat - In and Out Character Sketch
1. After School - Likes and Dislikes Organizer
2. Bat’s Cave - Descriptive Writing Activity
3. No Vanilla Yogurt - Mindfulness Activity
4. Is It A… - 20 Questions Mystery Animal Guessing Game
5. A Tiny Pink Nose - KWL Chart
6. Skunk Lunch - Persuasive Writing
7. Every-Other Fridays - Mindfulness Activity #2
8. Sixteen Eyelets - Mindfulness Reflection
9. Open-Door Babycakes Policy - Classroom Rulemaking Writing Activity
10. A Very Long Day - Classroom Collaboration Activity
11. Apartment 2A - Favourite Meal Writing Prompt
12. Finally & 13. What’s in a Name - Partner Interview Writing Prompt
14. Sleeping Arrangements &; 15. Dr. Jerry Dragoo - KWL Chart Revisited
16. A Correspondence - Reflection Questions
17. At the Clinic- Writing Prompt- “When I Grow Up”
18. Dinner Date- Reflection Questions
19. Blessing of Sorts- Different Points of View
20. Problems - My Perfect School Day- Student's plan their own school schedule
21. Organizational Systems- Making Personal Connections
22. Baseball and Braiding: Acts of Love Brainstorm
23. Windows - Writing Prompt
24. A Reply - Making Friends Reflection Questions
25. Houseguests - Qualities of a Good Friend Brainstorm
26. How to Know Someone - Reflection Questions
Final Tasks: I have shared some possible ideas for final tasks related to A Boy Called Bat. You can have students choose one activity of their choice, or use it as a tic-tac toe style board, and have them complete a row of activities.
I hope you enjoy!