Looking for a way to engage high school students meaningfully in nonfiction texts? Trying to incorporate more of a diversity of reading material or to differentiate for various learning styles with your reading lessons?
Try this chilling listening comprehension podcast lesson
about body farms for older students. This product comes complete with:
1. Lesson hook ideas
2. Comprehension, analysis, and discussion questions
3. Before and after reading questions
4. A writing prompt to use as an optional extension essay
5. Video clip links to share with students to wrap up the discussion
Podcasts are an excellent way to improve students' listening comprehension
skills while building in reading comprehension elements along the way. As you complete this engaging lesson, teach students how to "read" a podcast by stopping to discuss, by replaying areas that students find confusing, by encouraging them to ask questions of their own, and by extending their love for reading through a high-interest topic.
Listen as a class, or have students listen on their own devices using earbuds for a self-paced experience.
Try this podcast as a Halloween activity, as a sub lesson plan, as a homework assignment, as a literacy center activity, as a remediation option, as part of a reading comprehension unit, with your mystery and horror genre study, and more.
Due to the nature of the subject matter, I recommend this lesson be used in high school.
Interested in browsing other unique ELA teaching materials from The Reading & Writing Haven? You can do that here!
Looking for a similar spooky-type lesson? Try this Halloween Story Starters Activity
Let's stay connected for updates, sales, new products, and teaching ideas!
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
© 2017 The Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.