Also included in
- Wanting to create or enhance an independent reading program? Literature circles, intervention lessons, book club, choice reading arrangements? Creating the materials can be overwhelming, but reading choice is crucial to students' growth as readers, perceptions of their abilities, engagement in class$35.00$43.48Save $8.48
Before you begin a choice reading program - book club, literature circles, or any other independent reading arrangement - engage your students with a discussion about literacy and why reading matters. Students need to see the implications that relate to their own lives in regards to any course content - literacy included!
This lesson consists of a 26 slide editable PPT presentation, which allows you flexibility to adapt it for different age groups, cultures, and demographics. Within the lesson, there are various components, designed for chunking purposes.
- Students will learn about literacy research.
- Students will have opportunities to discuss the research with the class.
- Students will view high-interest video clips that relate to the topic.
- Students will learn from visual graphs to complement the research.
I recommend introducing a few facts to students each day over the course of a couple weeks, just to keep it interesting!
Just updated, I've also added a roles chart that you can use to introduce expectations for independent reading to students. What will the teacher be doing? What should the students be doing? We all play our part, and when everyone is on task, more productivity happens.
The information in this presentation is most suitable for secondary students.
We all want to teach our students about why reading matters, but finding specific data to back up our claims takes time. I've done the research for you. Simply teach and enjoy!
You might also find these reading resources helpful when implementing literature circles, reader response, intervention programs, book club, and other forms of choice reading in the classroom.
***This lesson is available as part of a larger independent reading bundle.
Interested in browsing other unique ELA teaching materials from The Reading & Writing Haven? You can do that here!
Let's stay connected for updates, sales, new products, and teaching ideas!
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
©Reading and Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.