Note: This crossword can be used before, during, or after students read the book.
After over 170 years in print, a book is bound to contain words that are no longer used. This crossword focuses on 50 outdated or rarely used words from A CHRISTMAS CAROL.
* Bedight (Answer: decorated)
* Whence: From ___ (Answer: where)
* Behindhand (Answer: late)
* Withal (2 words) (Answer: as well)
* Beetling (Answer: overhanging)
As a prereading activity, the crossword will help prepare students for reading the book. During reading, it makes a useful extra-credit project and post-reading, a unique competition activity!
Here are my products over A CHRISTMAS CAROL. Many are perfect for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View them all in my store.
* Bookmarks Plus: A CHRISTMAS CAROL edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 2 Trivia Crosswords—50 clues each! Fun way to check students’ reading-for-detail skills! Great competition activity, too!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 50 Challenging Words Prereading Xword Stave 1—Helps prepare students for reading the book!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 50 Challenging Words Prereading Xword Stave 2—Helps prepare students for reading the book!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 50 Challenging Words Prereading Xword Stave 3 —Helps prepare students for reading the book!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 50 Challenging Words Prereading Xword Staves 4 and 5—Helps prepare students for reading the book!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 50 Outdated Words Crossword—Unique!
Students must provide modern-day “translations”!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 10 Quotefall Puzzles—Great Spelling Workout!
Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 10 Word Merges—One "Word" Becomes Two!
Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!