Interactive Notebook “A Christmas Carol” - Drama Study
This resource is for Interactive Notebooks or File Folders. If you would prefer more traditional resources or a digital version of the student packet, check out the "A Christmas Carol" Drama Study HERE.
This resource is the perfect companion to “A Christmas Carol” written by Charles Dickens and dramatized by Frederick Gaines. As students read the drama about Ebenezer Scrooge, a man obsessed with greed, and then visited by spirits that change him forever, they’ll develop critical reading skills. Through small group work, independent studies, and class discussions students will not only understand and appreciate the elements of drama but develop deep meaning of the text. In this unit students will be assembling Interactive Notebooks or File Folders as they develop a deep understanding of the text. While Interactive File Folders are at the core of how students will be learning in this unit, they will also be participating in small group discussions, working with partners, and reflecting on their learning independently. There’s also a final assessment included in the unit. The end result is a fun, engaging, and CCSS-aligned unit!
The drama study includes all the resources you’ll need to teach this unit in your classroom tomorrow. You’ll love how easy the drama is to teach and your students will love this classic holiday tale!
In this unit students will complete a collection of graphic organizers that they will assemble in an interactive notebook or file folder. The notebook or file folder and the interactive shapes serve as a fantastic hands-on educational tool. Students interact with their learning as they create the notebook or file folder and review the finished product.
The design of the interactive notebook or file folder serves many purposes:
- The notebook or file folder serves as a reference for students to use as they complete the literature study. It’s filled with 3-D representations of the unit’s instruction.
- The interactive learning materials provide a fun, hands-on approach to learning that taps into multiple learning styles.
- Creating an interactive notebook or file folder is motivating and empowering for all students.
- Interactive notebooks and file folders create a visual representation of the key concepts covered in the unit.
- Oh, and one more time…they make learning fun!
In this unit, students will…
- Understand and appreciate elements of drama
- Build historical background for the play
- Determine themes conveyed in the text
- Describe how the play’s plot unfolds as well as how characters respond as the plot moves towards a resolution
- Determine the meaning of words and phrases used in the text
- Explore how character choices affect the plot and build on the theme of the story
- Engage in collaborative discussions
- Write in response to literature
Common Core State Standards
- RL.1, RL.2, RL.3, RL.4, RL.5, RL.6, RL.10
- W.10, SL.1, L.4, L.6
This Interactive Reading Unit includes…
- A detailed unit overview
- Visuals for assembling the Interactive Notebook or Interactive File Folder
- Detailed activity plans (8)
- Elements of Drama Partner Activity
- Historical Background (4)
- Letter to Marley Writing Activity
- Interactive Shapes - Title, Drama Element Tables, Vocabulary, Building Background Note Shapes, Active Reading Pocket and Shapes (6), Mood Shape, Character Flip Chart
- Personal Reflection
- Test - Multiple-Choice, True and False, and Short Answer
- All Instructional and Test Keys
FYI: This unit is also a part of the Winter Resources Bundle . The bundle is filled with over 15 days of instruction and includes four resources - Winter Poetry Analysis Flip Books, "A Christmas Carol" Interactive Notebooks, a Winter Break Project, and an End-of-Year Reflection. You can check it out HERE .
You might also like...
- Reading Comprehension Skills - MEGA BUNDLE! 9 Mini-Units!
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction