This crossword is meant to be used before students begin reading Stave 1 of A CHRISTMAS CAROL.
This crossword focuses on 50 of the difficult words in Stave 1 of A CHRISTMAS CAROL. These words are not necessarily meant to be words that students will be tested over. Instead, they are, for the most part, unfamiliar words, many of which students must know the definition of in order to better understand the story. By completing this crossword, students will become familiar with these words and, it is hoped, will recall them along with their definitions as they encounter them in their reading.
Here are some of the featured words:
* Coveted: desiring ___ ANSWER: wealth
* Rime ANSWER: frost
* Trifle ANSWER: small
* Palpable: able to be ___ ANSWER: felt
* Relinquished (2 words) ANSWER: given up
* Benevolence ANSWER: kindness
* Fettered ANSWER: bound
* Tacitly: without ___ ANSWER: speaking
Here are more unique products over A CHRISTMAS CAROL—perfect for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! And don't miss the A CHRISTMAS CAROL edition of Bookmarks Plus (great "gift" for students!) or the trivia crossword! View them all in my store.
* Bookmarks Plus: A CHRISTMAS CAROL edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid and a Great "Gift" for Students! Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: Trivia Crossword—100 clues! Fun way to check students’ reading-for-detail skills! Great competition activity, too!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 50 Challenging Words Prereading Xword—Stave 1—Helps prepare students for reading the book!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 50 Challenging Words Prereading Xword—Stave 2—Helps prepare students for reading the book!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 50 Challenging Words Prereading Xword Stave —Helps prepare students for reading the book!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 50 Challenging Words Prereading Xword Staves 4 and 5—Helps prepare students for reading the book!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 71 Outdated Words Crossword—Unique!
Students must provide modern-day “translations”!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 10 Quotefall Puzzles—Great Spelling Workout!
Each quotefall contains a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
* A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 10 Word Merges--One "Word" Becomes Two!
Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!