This engaging and informative lesson students to make insightful and developed interpretations of The Ghost of Christmas Past in Charles Dickens’ ‘A Christmas Carol.’ In particular, they explore the ghost’s physical appearance, actions, and mannerisms, and analyse the extent to which the ghost symbolizes the power of memories.
The lesson follows a step-by-step learning journey, in which children learn through:
- Reading and understanding the key plot elements of stave 2 - in which The Ghost of Christmas Past appears;
- Identifying and exemplifying the key features of the ghost, including its appearance, actions, and mannerisms;
- Analysing the extent to which the ghost represents the power of memories;
- Peer assessing each other's learning attempts.
- Whole lesson PowerPoint - colourful and comprehensive;
- Extract - Chapter 2 of A Christmas Carol;
- Features of The Ghost of Christmas Past Worksheet (and completed answer sheet for teachers);
- Analysis template with success criteria for creating well-structured responses;
- Comprehensive lesson plan.
There are also opportunities for group learning, peer assessment, and whole class discussion. This was originally taught to mixed ability year 10 groups, but can easily be differentiated for groups of different ages and abilities.
All images are licensed for commercial use, and image rights are listed on the last page of the presentation.