Based on the beloved character, Corduroy, by Don Freeman, “A Christmas Wish For Corduroy,” by B.G. Hennessey, is a wonderful Christmas read aloud for teaching the Common Core State Standards for Reading Literature 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 as well as the message of giving the gift of love of Christmastime.
Share this charming read aloud, then reinforce the central message with our Close Reading Worksheet. Our questions guide young learners right back into the text for the answers.
All of our products help you teach the Common Core State Standards by guiding students back into the text to read closely and use text features to find the central message. Close reading is fun with Max Learner Book Detective!
Included in this FREEBIE:
• A Text-Dependent Question card
• A Close Reading worksheet with answer key for teacher reference
• Two letter writing activities (details below)
The Text-Dependent Questions…
• Address multiple Common Core State Standards (CCSS RL 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7)
• Include pair-sharing prompts
• Help teacher model close reading
The Close Reading Worksheet…
• Flows naturally from the class discussion
• Directs students back into the text for answers
• Includes guidelines to help young writers with penmanship
• Answer key included may be used for handwriting practice or for modified work
Two Letter-Writing Activities!
• Letter 1: Pretend to be Corduroy and write Santa a letter telling him what you want for Christmas
• Letter 2: Write a letter to Santa and ask him to get something for someone else