A Day No Pigs Would Die (by Robert Peck) Student Journals and Novel Study
WHY JOURNALS? I wanted a resource to engage kids every step along the way of reading a novel. What I did NOT want my kids to do was read and answer comprehension questions and look up vocabulary, which all the other novel studies I looked at seem to do. That kills the fun of reading! This journal allows kids to discuss opinions, ideas, predictions- all fun things to do with a good book. Your students will hopefully thoroughly enjoy the interactive journals as they study, argue over details, and make personal connections. You can add sharing out, think-pair-share, and talking through answers.
This resource addresses certain standards. From the Common Core, this included:
* Cite strong and thorough textual evidence...
* Determine two or more themes or central ideas and analyze their development...
* Analyze the impact of author's choices...
* Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in the text...
* Analyze how an author's choices concerning how to structure specific parts of a text contribute to the overall structure and meaning...
* Analyze how complex characters develop over the course of a text, interact with other characters, and advance the plot or develop the theme.
SET-UP: These 39 journal pages are intended to be printed out, copied front and back, three-hole punched, and put into a three-pronged folder. While this might seem like a lot of copies, the novel study will last about a month. This equals 40 pages copied, (20 papers, front and back), for each student. Less than one page a day!
Most chapters have a mini-lesson or pre-reading focus, reading time, and post-reading activities. There are ten writing project choices for the end of the novel.
A teacher's version of the journal, complete with notes, will help you plan out the novel study to fit your kids and your class time.
Download the preview above to see the Table of Contents, the Pre-reading Lesson, and the Ch. 1 and 2 lessons.
The zipped file includes PDFs and a word document.
Looking for more Novel Studies? We also have Bud, Not Buddy- a Journal Style Novel Study. This is part of our Enriched Reading Experience series.
Click on the green star above to become a follower of our store and receive updates of new products and sales!
Also, don't forget to give feedback on the product to earn TpT credits.
Thanks! Your business and feedback are greatly appreciated!
PS- a special thanks to the buyer who left a Q and A suggesting this book for a novel study! We welcome all your suggestions!