Preparing students for standardized exams doesn’t have to be boring or irrelevant! Here’s another high-interest test prep article on an engaging topic – the possible benefits of chewing gum. Students will read about recent experiments that have shown that chewing gum may improve memory and reaction time.
This text includes 7 multiple choice questions along with a short response answer, along with some tips for answering challenging questions.**
Questions ask students to do the following and more:
* use the text to answer explicit questions that demonstrate comprehension
* summarize the main idea of a paragraph and of an entire text
* identify specific details in the test that support a main idea
* use context clues to define challenging vocabulary words
* refer back to particular paragraphs to locate information
* draw conclusions from a series of ideas presented by the author
An answer key is included. Should be accessible to 4th and 5th graders as well as fluent readers in 3rd grade.