How we got to write English in the way we write it today.
- Printable book detailing the development of writing and punctuation in English
- High quality slides that can also be printed off and used as a class display showing a timeline of the history of English writing
- accompanying guidance notes
- Word Investigator activity: have a go at investigating the etymology of interesting and unusual words
- Make a Punctuation Mark: create your own punctuation mark and provide examples of how it could be used
80 sheets/slides in total.
Packed with short facts that track the development of writing and punctuation into Modern English.
Beginning with the first known writing system in 3,200 BCE through to the impact of modern technology.
Helpful for explaining some of the quirks of English and of interest for understanding the development of English as a major global language.