Study unit for a wonderful short story about the magic of first love! Extensive Common Core Standards aligned package for analysis of the timeless classic by A. Chekhov including vocabulary builder, close reading and discussion and 3 interactive notebooks: figurative language scavenger hunt, plot summary worksheet and readers response with writing activity!
Details of the package
In a .zip folder you will find 5 .pdf documents with:
• full text of the story with vocabulary builder activity;
• full text of the story handout with close reading questions for textual analysis (originally intended for the teacher's use);
• figurative language scavenger hunt interactive notebook;
• plot summary interactive notebook;
• reader response with writing prompts for analysis of characters, themes, idea, setting and imagery, mood interactive notebook.
Make sure to click "Preview" to see detailed high-resolution preview of the activities! Check out thumbnails to see the overview of each document in the package!
Aims of the Study Unit
The unit targets the students ability to:
• cite textual evidence in support of their judgment and inferences made in the textual analysis process;
• explain literal and figurative meaning of various words and expressions, as well as work with the dictionary to support their reasoning;
• provide a well-grounded in-detail summary of the key elements of the story under discussion (main idea, plot structure, character building, themes and idea, etc.);
• recognize various figurative language expressions in the text and be able to define their meaning;
• understand author's intent while analyzing the story in "Close Reading"-style.
Common Core Standards
The package is optimized for grades 9 to 12 and is oriented to incorporate a wide range of standards in Reading and Writing! See product description to the right of the Preview for a list of standards.