Set in northeast Africa, Linda Sue Park's fascinating biographical novel A Long Walk to Water, proves the power of the human brain and the depth of the human spirit under extraordinary circumstances. Here is a no-prep novel study that includes:
- Board pages with appropriate pictures and discussion questions transferable to overheads or smart board - a student handout of the same questions is included.
- A one page set of reading comprehension questions for each chapter (18 total) - divided into sections for Nya and Salva. The last page is a little different as the chapter itself is different.
- Word study with spelling ladders - on CCSS every grade 3 to 8 mentions spelling and these are a low key approach.
- Novel test - Four page Reading Comprehension.
- Five pages of writing or discussion topics - two writing prompts per page with lines for student responses.
- Word search for names in the novel.
- Essential Question, using a famous quote from an historical figure, with lines for student response.
- Teacher Suggestions
ALL ANSWERS INCLUDED
Please see preview pages for three samples of the file contents.
This unit aligns with CCSS ELA RL 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9; W 1, 2, 3