This unit is great for the spring season. All students love ladybugs and will love learning about these cute little insects with all of these great literacy activities. This unit has so many great activities to boost reading skills and reading fluency. Many of the activities are ready to use tomorrow in your small and whole group reading time. There are 3 sorts great for word work time at varied levels. The Ladybug's Life emergent story at three different reading levels will be a great addition to your classroom library and guided reading instruction. The activities incorporate the TRC sight words. I hope your students love this unit as much as my kids do. Spring is always my favorite instructional time because of all the wonderful spring things.
1. Build –ug Words: bug, hug, mug, rug, jug, slug, and plug
2. Making Words: Ladybug Spots
3. Simple Sentence Match
a. Are you a ladybug? 2 reading levels
b. Ladybug Life Cycle
4. Are you a Ladybug? --student created booklet
5. Build a Sentence:
a. The Ladybug is in the flower garden.
b. A ladybug is red with black spots.
6. Life Cycle of a Ladybug- colored teacher version, blackline student version
7. Parts of a Ladybug- colored teacher version, blackline student version
8. A Ladybug’s Life (non-fiction)
-3 reading levels
-colored teacher version, blackline student version
9. Ladybug Label Story – A ladybug has… (w/describing words and body parts)
10. The Ladybug – a picture sequence story
a. Short Uu vs. Long Uu
b. Short Uu vs. Short Oo
c. –ug Real vs. Nonsense Words
a. Ladybug Words chart
b. Ladybug Word center activity
c. Ladybug Facts writing paper
If you like this unit, please take the time to rate it.