Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
1.47 MB | 50 pages
A Long Walk to Water is the story of a courageous and determined boy named Salva, who leaves his war-torn village and embarks on a journey that takes him across thousands of miles in search of safety and his family.
This unit is aligned to the common core, and designed for 5th grade, but may be suitable for students in 6th grade as well. Activities are differentiated for lower readers and independent readers for the 3rd quadrant of the book.
Activities included in the student notebook:
* Collecting information about the story elements: character, setting, and main problem
* Build background knowledge by reading a non-fiction text and watching a video about the Lost Boys of Sudan, taking notes, and completing a short writing assignment.
* Using context clues to determine the meaning of key vocabulary
* Summarizing the main events at the end of each chapter
* Answer questions by citing evidence from the reading
* Write a summary at the end of the 1st quadrant of the book
* Determine the theme of the book
* Collect text examples that support the theme of the book.
* Concluding activity: Synthesis writing about main character and how he changed over the course of the book including brainstorm worksheet and writing frames.
Included is a comprehensive teacher guide with sample responses and target learning points. The duration of this unit is 17 days.