This comprehensive grades 6-8 unit for the novel A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park includes everything you need to engage and excite readers, helping them to master important skills and standards like close reading and comparing history to fiction. Students will fall in love with Salva Dut, following him on his journey as a lost boy while also learning about the struggles of Nya, a young girl walking day after day for water. This comprehensive unit includes everything you need to help students both love this book and learn from it.
Included in this unit:
- A 235 page PowerPoint that guides both teacher and students through each step of the lessons from lesson one to lesson thirty four!
- A Reader's Notebook for students to record chapter notes. The reader's notebook is beautifully designed so students can note, question, and take doodle notes as they read.
- The Refugee Experience Packet for the second half of the A Long Walk to Water study. This packet guides students through a study of theme, comparing history to fiction, writing a literary analysis paper on Salva Dut, and completing a refugee study using United Nations resources.
- Step by Step literary analysis/informative writing guides including brainstorming pages, an outline, drafting tips, and revision stations
- Informative writing revision stations that can be used for this and any other unit
- My best selling Close Reading Task Cards (they compliment this unit so well, I included them!)
- A Pacing Guide to help with planning
Enjoy 340 pages of resources that will provide you with everything you need to teach one of the most popular middle school novels, A Long Walk to Water.
Check out other great products by Read it. Write it. Learn it.
Standards Based Bellringer Journal
Escape Room Bundle for ELA
Narratives as Mentor Texts
Master the Standards with Poetry Bundle
Close Reading Task Cards