A Long Way From Chicago Novel Guide will engage your students with thought-provoking learning activities aligned to the Common Core. Get students thinking deeply, close reading, and acquiring new vocabulary.
In chapter-by-chapter sequence, students examine setting, characters, events, significant quotations, and other important plot details and respond in a variety of attractively-designed formats.
THIS PRODUCT INCLUDES:
1. CHAPTER RESPONSE PAGES - 14 neat and concise pages (to be printed back-to-back) for all the main chapters 1929 - 1935. These pages reflect a variety of skills and formats, including citing text-based details, compare/contrast, friendly letter, persuasive paragraph, headlines, creating a dialogue, literary devices, short news article, character traits/evidence, etc.
2. VOCABULARY - 2 pages of VOCABULARY words, listed by chapter (30 words total), with blanks for definitions (which are provided on the answer key)
3. VOCABULARY QUIZZES – 2 Vocabulary Quizzes, 15 words for each, some matching and some fill-in-the-blank sentences
4. DETERMINING THEME – Students are gives four “theme topics” from the novel and analyze what the characters learned. They then determine two themes for the reader.
5. OBJECTIVE SUMMARY – Students practice Common Core Standard RL.2 using a chapter from the novel
6. NOVEL QUIZ - A 15-question QUIZ based on Chapters 1-3
7. END-OF-NOVEL SHORT TEST - A 25-question matching and multiple choice test
8. CHARACTER POEM Writing Assignment - An Illustrated writing assignment students enjoy based on the interesting array of secondary characters in the novel. (These look fantastic on display!)
9. ANSWER KEY - for the full packet and tests
10. COMMON CORE STANDARDS - Standards reflected in this resource are stated
If you are looking for quality response pages to use after each chapter in a ready-to-go student-friendly format along with other Common Core activities, this packet will not disappoint. Please download my PREVIEW to view a two-page chapter response from the packet.
Thank you! --Joy Sexton
You might also like:
Common Core Differentiated Short Response Slips for Literature
Common Core Informational Text - Student Response Pages for 8th Grade
Common Core Informational Text - Student Response Pages for 7th Grade
Common Core Informational Text - Student Response Pages for 6th Grade
Common Core Student Response Pages for Literature - 8th Grade
Common Core Student Response Pages for Literature - 7th Grade
Common Core Student Response Pages for Literature - 6th Grade