Newly expanded! Long Way Gone unit with more optional activities and two versions--black and white, and color.
This is everything you will need to teach A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah. You will not need to plan a thing. It is 27 class sessions of teacher instructions and printables, plus optional 11 optional activities. Now 200 plus pages for teaching A Long Way Gone. Imagine! A month of planning, done!
1. Unit objectives
2. Daily objectives and Common Core standards for 27 daily lessons
3. Detailed directions for each day's lesson
4. Comprehension quizzes/questions (and answer keys) for chapters 1-5, 6-9, 10-11, 12-14, 15-17, 18-20, 21
5. Discussion guides for students to teach discussion skills
6. Discussion questions and activities for each chapter
7. 8 informal personal narrative writing assignments
9. 1 complete personal narrative writing assignment that breaks it down into activities for pre-writing, writing a hook and body, step-by-step directions for writing a draft, peer response, and revising
10. A web-based activity about Sierra Leone's history
11. A webquest about child soldiers
12. A chart that lists each hip-hop song Beah mentions, organized by chapter and with links to videos and lyrics
13. A detailed table of contents so you can find things easily.
14. Several pre-reading activities
15. Activity defining Memoir and Personal Narrative
16. Active reading exercises for each chapter
17. Response to literature assignments
18. Video link to a talk about what it means to be a man along with discussion questions, writing assignment, and related hip-hop song analysis
19. Writing assignment for analyzing a contemporary hip-hop song and connecting it to A Long Way Gone
20. Writing assignment-- video links, note-taking, step-by-step writing guide, peer response-- for analyzing a hip-hop song
21. Plus 11 optional assignments.
This unit is designed for students to complete all reading in class.
All handouts can be printed in color or grey scale. The zip file has two versions--one color, one black and white. They'll look great either way.
Please leave a review. Not because 4 stars warm the cockles of my heart (though they do) but because it helps other buyers decide if this is right for them.
You may also be interested in:
Pre-Reading Activities for I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Pre-Reading Activities for To Kill a Mockingbird
Vocabulary Activities for Any Word List
Be the first to learn about new products! Click on the green star beside my store logo to become a follower and receive updates about my store.
If you have questions, please email me at WritingbyRachelC@gmail.com
Have a great day,