This collection of pre-reading, writing, and extension activities align with the hip-hop songs mentioned by Ishmael Beah in A Long Way Gone: A Memoir. Sierra Leone and civil war are likely far from your students' everyday experience. Use hip-hop to help them connect to Beah.
This collection includes 21 pages of usable products:
1. A two-page chart, organized by chapter, that lists each song Beah mentions and provides a link to that song's video so students may listen and watch without video commercials. Use it to hook readers in--play the songs they'll read about before they read the chapter. So easy for you--all you need to do is play the song.
2. Pull those readers in! An activity for chapter one that introduces the featured songs and hip-hop dances.
3. An activity for chapter one (or an extension activity) that challenges students to create their own hip-hop moves. Purely optional and purely fun.
4. Hip-hop songs are fun...but are they only fun? What messages might they contain? This activity (linked to chapter 7) guides students to analyze a contemporary hip-hop song and to make connections to Beah's experiences.
5. Hip-hop is often criticized for glamorizing violent, misogynist behaviors. Do hip-hop songs do more? What social issues do these songs fight for? This 4 day extension activity directs students to analyze a hip-hop song and to write a brief essay. Handouts for the assignment (with links to songs), step-by-step analysis, peer response, and revision planning are provided.
6. Also included: objectives, Common Core standards, Notes for Teachers, and a Table of Contents..
All activities include student handouts and step-by-step directions for teachers.
All handouts will look great copied in grey scale or color.
This product is included in the Complete Unit for this memoir:
A Long Way Gone--Complete Unit--Revised and Expanded (again)!
You may be interested in these other A Long Way Gone products:
A Long Way Gone-- Pre-Reading Activities
A Long Way Gone-- Writing a Personal Narrative
A Long Way Gone--Discussion Questions and Activities
A Long Way Gone--Questions and Answer Keys
A Long Way Gone--historical context
You may also be interested in:
A fictional account of a true Holocaust story:
My Mother's Secret--The Complete Unit
Pre-Reading Activities for Tyrell by Coe Booth
Don't forget to earn your TpT credit by leaving feedback.
Be the first to learn about new products! Click on the green star beside my store logo to become a follower and receive updates about my store.
If you have questions, please email me at WritingbyRachelC@gmail.com
Have a great day,