To fully understand A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah, it helps to know something of Sierra Leone's history and culture. These four, web-based activities enable students to learn more about the historical context. Included is:
1. A Table of Contents that organizes all materials so they are easy to find and shares which chapter each activity links to
2. Objectives and Common Core standards for the collection
3. Activity objectives
4. Detailed teacher directions and student handouts for 4 web-based activities
5. Activity 1-- explores the history and culture of Sierra Leone with an online video (3 versions to make it a small group or whole class activity.)
6. Activity 2- explores Sierra Leone's civil war
7. Activity 3- examines how Beah became a child soldier (Can be used as a quiz or homework.)
8. Activity 4- a Web-Quest that explores contemporary examples of child soldiers (2 versions so you can assign topics or you can let students choose their own.)
If you have purchased the complete unit
for A Long Way Gone, you already have this collection.
But, if not, you may also be interested in:
A Long Way Gone--Hip-Hop Activities
A Long Way Gone-- Discussion Questions and Activities
A Long Way Gone-- Comprehension Quizzes and Answer Keys
A Long Way Gone-- Personal Narrative and Memoir
Buyers, please return to Your Purchases page and leave feedback of this product. Not because four stars fills me with warm fuzzies (though it does) but because it helps other buyers decide what to buy.
Be the first to learn about new products! Click on the green star beside my store logo to become a follower and receive updates about my store.
If you have questions, please email me at WritingbyRachelC@gmail.com
Have a great day,